Friday, October 16, 2009

Albacete Flashbacks - 1 - Looking alrededor

My favourite Spanish word: "alrededor" - best meaning I can find in English is "around". Alrededor can take any shape, color or smell, can be anything or simply nothing. Alrededor is a 360 taken to power 360 degree view.
I arrived in Albacete early at night, terrified that nobody would be at the student residence for my reception. Took a taxi from the train station. Think the driver gave me the whole tour of the town - should have taken some pictures. I had the impression we were moving in a circle for a few times - or maybe the Spanish air was making me dizy, not sure.
Next morning I got on my balcony and I looked alrededor: nothing but flat land covered by light. I felt like don Quijote, ready to fight against any windmill that I encounter, but more than that wishing to find one first.
...
I left Albacete late at night, or very early in the morning. After a party (Kasia's party, I think), we all headed to the bus station. Well, by "all" I mean most of the other Erasmus friends I had there. I don't remember what we spoke on the way that seemed to me so long, I can only remind the noise of my old trolley’s wheels on the rough pavement, pulled-pushed-kicked by Matteo. I was lucky my bus was almost ready to leave when we got there, I didn't want the others to stay and wait with me that late in the night -early in the morning after partying, plus, I would have risked getting emotional.
Next day, looking alrededor in the airport in Bucharest, first person getting my attention is my mum smiling to me.
(to be continued)

No comments: