Thursday, September 18, 2008

Cold Showers

I am happy to announce you my first major cultural shock.

There was another one before (the language one), but I kind of expected it from before, so wasn't such a big thing. OK, I admit I am kind of ironical about it. I'm not sure it is a real one. Lots of people warned me it will happen sooner or later (I meant the cultural shock). Maybe it's happening right now and I don't know? Am I in denial??

Some months before leaving to Denmark, I even went to a conference that was supposed to prepare me for the great eXchange experience, which is organized by AIESEC, about 2 times each year, and is called ICPS - Inter-Cultural Preparation Seminar- I think, but I'm not sure. That was really fun.
Anyway, there we had some sort of discussion about it, and how to overcome such problems. Now I'm not even sure I understand what a cultural shock is any more... or a shock, generally speaking. It might be because before coming here, I didn't have too many expectations whatsoever (neither positive, nor negative), so I just took everything as it was.. or still is. Or maybe because I chose an European country, instead of going to China or South-Africa.

To get to the point, I didn't have any hot water in my apartment for the last 36 hours. Which was bad. Surprisingly, It all began at the moment when I set my heating to maximum power. Of course, since I'm kind of slow and I don't know anything about plumbing (actually, most of the times I prefer to imagine that water and electricity come together with the wireless from a magic source directly from the walls, it's more simple this way) it took me some time to realize that there must be a connection between the two events. So this morning I was sharing my suspicions to some people while having breakfast at work. At one point, two of them - not Danish, but apparently living here for a longer time and already with some similar experiences, started laughing and explained to me that yes, they are indeed connected. So at one moment, I can have only one of them: either hot water in the shower, or heating in my room. I don't know if it's the same in all the apartments here, I'm curious to see how it's like in the place where I am going to move this weekend.

It's already been one month and a half since I'm here, I need a real cultural shock.
Who knows, maybe I'll have it when I'll be back home in Romania for Christmas? :)

Other non-related stuff:
- today I'm trying yoga for the first time, hope I'll like it
- need sleep
- tomorrow I'm moving my stuff to the new apartment
- will be spending the weekend shopping, or at least "faire du lèche-vitrines"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nebunico, ce dor mi-e de tine! Chiar ca soc cultural, hehe!
Uite, am terminta si eu, am hartie de farmacist si mai profit acum de timpul liber, pana la angajez in Bucuresti. Mai vb , te pup